Fast White Bean Stew
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes ( I used diced)
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (19-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
- 1 (1/2-pound) piece baked ham (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby romaine or baby arugula (10 cups loosely packed)
- 8 (3/4-inch-thick) slices baguette
Cook garlic in 1/4 cup oil in a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Coarsely cut up tomatoes in can with kitchen shears, then add (with juice) to garlic in oil. Stir in broth, beans, ham, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in greens and cook until wilted, 3 minutes for romaine or 1 minute for arugula.
While stew is simmering, preheat broiler. Put bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat until golden, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
Serve stew with toasts.